Airconditioned Commercial Building
Commercial building in Aachen [Photo: db]
We looked after this 5-floor commmercial building in Aachen for 7 years.
We were asked by the client to take over looking after this building in 1983. This was because the previous company had no solution to the sick building syndrome.
This three-storey building, dedicated to commercial use, houses a discotheque (basement level), shops (ground level), merchandise store-rooms and offices (upper storeys). The environmental control systems, including 3 dew-point controlled air-conditioners, water-chiller and gas boiler, are located on the roof.
Location: Blondelstr. 9, 52062 Aachen
Air-conditioned area: ~6000 m².
Levels rented: 4.
- Recalculation of air quantity from 3 air-conditioning systems according to the requirements of the tenants.
- Recalculation of air washer performance.
- Drop separator of air washers improved.
- Hygiene of air washers brought up standard.
- To achieve an almost draft-free office environment, the air outlets were modified and adjusted.
- Hydraulic adjustment of heating distribution.
- Equilibration of static heating and heat output of the air-conditioning system.
- To compensate the solar heating of west side of the building, special control measures were executed.
- Improved control of the water chiller (refac) 4-step control.
- Energy performance of condensors technically improved.
- Modification of switching cabinets, adaptation of all controls (stäfa).
- Energy optimisation by raising detailed schedule for servicing air-condition/heating/ventilation/cooling.
- Modification of waste-water lifting system, basement level with discotheque rooms.
- Restaurant area: reactive current compensator installed.
- General energy-saving advice
- By exactly timing all systems to the users requirements, we were able to reduce the annual cost of running the air-conditoning system alone by 5,000 euros(!)
- With preventive maintenance, tailored to the system technology, the error-free running of 99.5% was achieved. To ensure that the water in the washers of the due-point adjusted air-conditioning systems remained in a hygenic condition, we applied a combination of techniques to minimize calcification and bacterial attack. ( Legionnaire's disease)
- Success: The justified complaints went down to the usual rate of 15% dissatisfied users.
No more details available.
I dedicated this page to the person who taught me a lot about air-conditioning,
Joachim Poschmann, who always said:
'If you want to find an error in a system, you either need to know the system down to the last screw - or take it apart yourself.'
Time has shown him to be right.